Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Day two - slow cooker taco soup

Yesterday I made the santa-fe chicken. Everything went well, except I forgot the cheese! How did I forget the cheese?!?!?!

Today, I found this recipe from all recipe.com

Slow Cooker Taco Soup:

Ingredients:
1 pound ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1 (16 ounce) can chili beans, with liquid
1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans with liquid
1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, with liquid
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
2 (14.5 ounce) cans peeled and diced tomatoes
1 (4 ounce) can diced green chile peppers
2 packages of taco seasoning mix
Water to fill crock pot

Directions:
In a medium skillet, cook the ground beef until browned over medium heat. Drain, and set aside.
Place the ground beef, onion, chili beans, kidney beans, corn, tomato sauce, water, diced tomatoes, green chile peppers and taco seasoning mix in a slow cooker. Mix to blend, and cook on Low setting for 8 hours.

Servings: 8
Amount Per Serving Calories: 362 | Total Fat: 16.3g | Cholesterol: 48mg

Because this makes A LOT, it will be a good soup to freeze and save for a later date.

Alterations and substitutes:
I browned the meat with one onion, one green pepper and three garlic cloves all finely minced.
Then I used two cans of kidney beans, and one can of (15 ounces) tomato sauce for I didn't have the smaller version.
I also used some pepper and some salt to taste.

We'll see how this taste in a few hours!

We ended up eating it with tortilla chips and some shredded cheese. Jeremiah said it was okay, it didn't "wow" him though. We decided that it needed TWO packages of taco seasoning. It did make a FULL crock pot, so we are freezing more than half of it for another meal another time! =]

**Notes**
To spice it up, some of the comments were made to cook the onions, taco seasoning WITH the meat. I'm going to do that.

recipe can be found by clicking here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jeremiah went back to work today! Two days in a row. I hope he can make it all week. He's working 10 hour shifts, and I know it's hard on him. But he can do it. I just continue to pray that he'll be proud of this accomplishment, the amazing things he is doing for this family.

Gideon is getting bigger and bigger! I'm 32.5 weeks down!

No comments:

Post a Comment