Monday, January 9, 2012

Day one, no eating out - Chicken

Yesterday we cooked all of our meals, but then as we were going to a friends house Jeremiah wanted to stop and "reward" us with ice cream. I couldn't honestly say no; this pregnant momma loves ice cream! So we spent $3.35 on ice cream. I can handle that.

Jeremiah went back to work today (off from being sick). He took a lunch of hot pockets, chips, oranges, pudding cup, granola bar, peanut butter crackers.... he has a 10 hour shift to last through.

I had for breakfast, leftovers from yesterday's breakfast. A yogurt cup for a snack and here soon I plan on eating another snack before I go for a walk.

This morning I put a whole chicken into the crock pot. We have standard recipes for cooking chicken dinners, but I wanted to try something new.

At www.readyseteat.com I found the following easy recipe http://www.readyseteat.com/recipes-Santa-Fe-Chicken-Packets-5555.html

INGREDIENTS:
1 can (15 oz each) Rosarita® Premium Whole Black Beans, drained, rinsed
2 cups frozen whole kernel corn
1 can (10 oz each) Ro*Tel® Original Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies, drained
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
PAM® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (5 oz each)
1/2 cup shredded reduced fat Mexican cheese blend

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat outdoor grill to medium-high heat according to manufacturer's directions. Stir together beans, corn, drained tomatoes and cumin in medium bowl.
Place four 18x12-inch pieces of heavy foil on counter. Spray each with cooking spray. Place 1 breast in center on each piece of foil. Spoon 1/4th bean mixture over chicken for each packet. Bring up short sides of each foil packet and double fold top. Double fold both ends to seal each packet, leaving space for steam to gather.
Place packets on grate of covered grill. Grill 15 to 20 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in centers (165°F). Carefully open packets; sprinkle 1/4th cheese on top of each breast. Close foil and let stand 2 minutes or until cheese melts.

COOK'S TIPS:
Packets may be baked on shallow pan in 425°F oven 20 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in centers. Or, to save aluminum foil, place chicken in 13x9-inch baking dish sprayed with cooking spray. Spoon bean mixture over chicken; cover dish with aluminum foil. Bake in 375°F oven 30 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in centers.

Serving Size 4 servings (1 packet each)
Calories 386


**Note**
I will be using the oven method. I also have to "switch" things up because my chicken will be fully cooked from the crock pot. Jeremiah also likes spicy food so I plan on adding some zest to it. I'll let you know how it goes and get back to you.


This was so yummy! I made a few of my own adjustments: I used one can of whole corn and one can of cream of corn instead of two cups frozen corn. I made this with a side or rice as well, which they went well together. Also, it need to be a bit more spicy (for Jeremiah's taste, he thought it was bland). Most importantly, DON'T FORGET THE CHEESE!!! I was in such a hurry I forgot the cheese. It was still delicious.




Need to go walk my mile, and then going out to take pictures for Andrea and Kellen.

I also got a call from a school district, wanting me to work for them. I turned them down =[ can't do it with having a baby soon!

xoxo

2 comments:

  1. Ice cream is amazing I can't blame you guys for eating it! Show Michelle the recipe and i would love to try it! Thanks for all the help last night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The recipe is on here... and your welcome. Becca and I plan on coming back to help!

    ReplyDelete