Saturday, January 14, 2012

Day six - chicken pot pie

Today is day six of no eating out. It is Saturday, and sometimes the hardest for us not to eat out. We have the time to go enjoy ourselves, we like to be with friends and so forth.

I have been feeling a bit sick... sneezing, running nose... boo! So I wanted something warm and "homey" to eat.

I made Chicken Pot Pie for Jeremiah, his friend Clayton who often is with us on the weekend, and of course myself and Gideon (Gideon jumped for joy with it's deliciousness)... we ate the whole pan. I only had a small bit, those two men were hungry!!

I don't have a "recipe" for chicken pot pie... it depends on a lot of things such as what I have available, who is eating it (I know Jeremiah could eat a pot pie of just potatoes and little chicken). This is the third meal I've made this week off of one whole chicken.

INGREDIENTS (amount varies on size of pan/pot and taste) that I usually use:
chicken cooked, chopped or shredded about one or two cups
Potatoes chopped (I typically use three)
Mixed vegetables (I use frozen, you can use fresh just make sure they care cooked first, or cans of corn, green beans, so forth)
1 to 2 can(s) of cream of chicken
Salt and Pepper to taste

1/2 cup milk
1 cup baking mix (I buy off brand Bisquick)
1 egg

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Boil potatoes (and/or other fresh vegetables) until they are soft. While potatoes are cooking in a pie pan or other casserole dish mix other vegetables, soup, and chicken. Add in drained cooked potatoes and mix all together in pie pan. Salt and pepper to taste.

In separate bowl mix milk, baking mix, and egg pour on top of pot pie. If you like a thicker crust you may double the recipe. Do note that it will take longer to bake and will need to be checked.

Bake for at least 30 minutes or until crust is golden brown and not running when sliced into.

Enjoy and serve.




Later today I also made the chocolate crackle recipe here. It is very, very, very sweet! But really easy to make. It does take a while to cool/harden.

Currently watching: American's Test Kitchen on PBS... one of my favorite cooking shows! Told Jeremiah we have almost made it a week without eating out and that I think we should try going two weeks! Maybe eat out twice a month...it would be more like a date instead of just getting our grub on.

Have a great Saturday everyone, even though it's almost over!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment