Friday, June 22, 2012

J's Low Carb

Jeremiah is trying to eat very few carbs.  It's personally probably going to be the death of me!  =]  I love my breads and noodles and cookies!

So I'm on a mission to find quick, simple, affordable low carb meals (specifically something that can be in the crock pot).  Here is what I've come up with so far.

Zucchini Lasagna

Italian Vegetable Soup

Or I think I might just come up with something of my own!  Just throw in a bunch of ingredients we already have in the house, those make the best soups!

Megan's Amazing Beef and Vegetable Soup:

Ingredients:
Roast - we had left over roast from crock-pot roast and veggies.  So I diced up the left overs (about 2+ cups full)
Carrots - I used the left over carrots from the roast as well.  Chopped them.  2 cups
Celery - two celery stalks diced/thinly sliced
Corn - one can
rotel - one can
onion - half of a yellow onion diced
green beans - fresh from my mom's garden, cleaned about 2 cups
northern light beans - one can
tomato sauce - one can
chicken broth - about two cups
water - enough to make soup
spices - cayenne pepper, basil, oregano, and pepper

Put everything in the crock pot/slow cooker.  Cook on low for 8 hours.  Stir every few hours, add water if you need to make it "more soupy"

Note: We didn't add potatoes for Jeremiah is trying to watch his carb/eating healthy.  I just went through my pantry/refrigerator and added vegetables we liked.  Though about using peas instead of the beans, you could use probably any kind of bean of your choice (to make it heartier).  Add as little or as much vegetables or sauce to taste.  Although Jeremiah really enjoyed this soup the possibilities are endless!

The same day I made the soup (Thursday) we also made omelets for lunch!  YUMMY!!  We put sliced ham and green peppers in ours.  We cooked the peppers and ham together.  Such a cheap idea!



2 comments:

  1. We loooooove omelets! I just love eggs from my head down to my legs! :D Spinach is sooo good in omelets too. A good way to sneak in some green! Todd hates green veggies lol. So I have to just be mean and make him eat them! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good you make him eat them! You can google ways to sneak in other healthy vegetables. like making cauliflower mash instead of mash potatoes. They taste the same - but twice as healthy.

      Delete