Thursday, January 26, 2012

Interesting article I found online.....

Is Eating Out Cheaper Than Cooking?

This is an interesting article that surely grabbed my attention. First off, I don't know how much credit I can give to the author. I (the math queen, not spelling) found an error! Secondly, in their comparisons at the end of the article of different high end restaurants, somethings I think are over priced.

My counter argument:

Yes, we are in the midwest where our groceries are a bit cheaper. But what about shopping using coupons, watching sale prices, buying in bulk yourself (or splitting with another family), going to the city food market, or even growing your own produce. There are ways to save money while buying groceries.

I do agree with their point, that sometimes it is cheaper to eat out (specially when it comes to seafood and other expensive cuts of meat). However, the price you pay at the restaurant does not include the tip, the gas together, the waiting time (which sometimes it would be faster for me to kill my own chicken and make lemon chicken than to wait at the Cheesecake factory) and the lack of comfort compared to your home.

I would also like to state that when we eat at home, we have leftovers! A beautiful word in my opinion. Even if you can train yourself to bring home half of your meal from the restaurant, the odds of you eating it are unlikely (at least for me).

The health side of eating at home is a big factor for me. I know where my beef and chicken comes from. I know where several of my vegetables comes from (my mom likes to can/freeze her garden inventory). I DONT know where the restaurant's food comes from. Their portions are usually too large, stuffing your face with more calories does not save you money when you have to pay for that gym membership and doctor's appointment.

Overall I think the benefits of being with family, in the comfort of your house, eating what you want and having left overs out weighs a few cents and a few dollars here. A person just has to learn how to shop wisely.

I believe that is my soap box of the day!

I'm still going to challenge my family to only eating out (including pricy and cheap-o places) only twice a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment