Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Day nine - ham and cheese rolls

We are on day nine of not eating out. Although sometimes I kinda crave an unhealthy hamburger, I realize I can make my own that would taste even better!

Jeremiah saw this recipe on a commercial. He really wanted to try it.

INGREDIENTS:
1 can of crescent rolls
Sliced ham
Sliced cheese

DIRECTIONS:
Heat oven to 350°F. Separate dough into 8 triangles. Place 1 piece of ham on each triangle; place 2 strips of cheese down center of ham. Fold in edges of ham to match shape of dough triangle. 2 Roll up each crescent, ending at tip of triangle. Place with tips down on ungreased cookie sheet. 3 Bake 15 to 19 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheet. Serve warm.

COST:
1 can of crescent rolls $3.00
8 slices of ham $1.50
8 slices of cheese $1.00
2 cans of green beans $1.25
tator tots (for J) $1.25
Total: $8.00
Two adults ate
made two left overs.
$8/4 meals = $2 per meal/per person!

Tips for money tips on this and in general groceries:
1)I buy a 3 or 5lb ham chunk. This way I can slice it for recipes or dice it for something else. Why pay for someone else to cut my meat and package it all fancy and wasteful.
2)Cheese, buy sliced cheese in the big 160 slices. It will keep in a baggie in the fridge. Yes the 160 slices cost $10-15 at a time, but it last and saves you so much money compared to buying 24 slices at a time.
3) Coupons! I know that I don't normally buy pillsbury crescent rolls, but today before I get a few groceries I'm going to make sure I have coupons to buy the crescent rolls.
4) Don't just leave to get groceries. You will waste more gas when you are constantly getting groceries. However, I know that I have an appointment at 4:00 today, so I will get groceries on my way home. If I wasn't going to leave the house, I would chose a different recipe for today.

2 comments:

  1. We are having these tonight! Just a bit different. I'm doing French Dip Rolls and Geoff is going for Turkey and Cheese since he thinks ham is "slimy."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! So what do you use, what's your recipe?

    We served them with green beans (and Jeremiah wanted a few tator tots, but I'm trying to watch what I eat). What do you serve yours with.

    ReplyDelete